JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – Baykeeper
Peconic Baykeeper Inc. (PBK), a Hampton Bays, New York based 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to drinkable, swimmable, and fishable waters in the Peconic and South Shore Estuaries, seeks to employ a Baykeeper to work towards achieving the goals of our clean water mission. Working directly under the Executive Director (ED), the Baykeeper will administer PBK’s education, pollution prevention, and research programs on behalf of our Board of Directors (BOD). Additionally, the Baykeeper will assist in the development and advocacy duties of the ED, while helping to create new programmatic opportunities. The Baykeeper will work within the lager Waterkeeper Alliance community, and contribute to the movements clean water vision.
- Operation of watercraft (power and paddle) to provide pollution patrol and response within the Peconic and South Shore Estuaries of Long Island, NY
- Administration of PBK’s education and outreach programs, including participation in the “Day in the Life of …” Program, in classroom school/camp lessons, and creation of educational curriculum focused on water quality
- Participation in the Blue Water Task Force collaborative water monitoring program, including coordination with project partners at Eastern Suffolk Surfrider Foundation and the Concerned Citizens of Montauk and supervision of volunteer testers
- Active participation in PBK’s habitat restoration efforts, including river herring and American eel restoration and monitoring
- Active participation in various stakeholder organizations, including the Peconic Estuary Program, South Shore Estuary Program, Long Island Diadromous Fish Working Group, East Hampton Environmental Coalition, and others
- Active participation within the Waterkeeper movement, including mandatory conferences and trainings. Additionally, coordinate directly with neighboring Waterkeeper organizations for joint policy/education opportunities and actions, including Long Island Soundkeeper, NY/NJ Baykeeper, Narragansett Baykeeper and South County (RI) Coastkeeper.
- Be the public face of PBK’s operations, including press conferences, writing newsletters/articles, and frequent media contact
- Support PBK’s communication efforts through social and traditional media
- Supervise seasonal staff, volunteers, and interns
- Assist in organizing special events, workshops, and beach cleanups
- Support the ED in implementing keystone projects, including our Net Nitrogen Reduction Policy, Septic Improvement Program, and our Pilot Oyster Aquaculture Project
- Bachelors degree in Marine Science, Marine Policy, Environmental Science, Oceanography, Biology, Chemistry, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Economics, Planning, Marine Technology or related field
- 5 years experience in environmental advocacy, education, regulation, science, research, or equivalent. Particular experience in marine environments is preferred. A Masters of Science (MS) in a related field may substitute for 2 years of experience, and a Doctorate Degree (PhD) in a related field may substitute for 4 years of experience
- Experience operating watercraft, both power and paddle, is a MUST. NY Safe boating certification is preferred
- Strong, personal connection to the water, and passion to fight for it is essential. Strong, personal connection to the Peconic and South Shore Estuaries is preferred
- Independent thinker, with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong communication skills
- Basic social media editing and updating experience
Salary commensurate with experience. Health benefits, retirement plan, and paid vacation available
If interested, please email your resume and a brief (1 page or less) cover letter answering why you would make a good Baykeeper to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16, 2018. Interviews for highly qualified candidates will take place before November 29, 2018, with the position starting in Mid-December, 2018.
Peconic Baykeeper is an equal-opportunity employer. For more information about our clean water mission, please visit www.peconicbaykeeper.org